"I don't need to try it, I already know I won't like it - and that's an honest opinion!"
Got me thinking. Is that an opinion? Say I like McDonalds. Is that an opinion? Well... actually, it probably is, these days... ok, pasta. If I like pasta, is that an 'opinion'?
- A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: "The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion" (Elizabeth Drew).
- A judgment based on special knowledge and given by an expert: a medical opinion.
- A judgment or estimation of the merit of a person or thing: has a low opinion of braggarts.
- The prevailing view: public opinion.
- Law. A formal statement by a court or other adjudicative body of the legal reasons and principles for the conclusions of the court.
It does fit in with the first option. He held a belief that he would not like the food, although this was not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof. So, technically, "I'm not going to like this" is an opinion, yes?